Tuesday 22 November 2011

Benedict Cumberbatch talks about Smaug

Benedict Cumberbatch talks The Hobbit

He begins filming in January


Benedict Cumberbatch has been discussing his upcoming work on Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, telling Collider about what will be a very physical role as Smaug the dragon.

Smaug is The Hobbit’s big bad, and Cumberbatch will be donning a performance-capture suit to truly bring him to life when he makes his way to the New Zealand-based set this January.

“I’m physicalizing him as a dragon,” begins Cumberbatch. “I’m not just doing the voiceover, so it’ll be a physical role which I’m no stranger to. I did Frankenstein at the beginning of the year with Danny Boyle at the National Theatre and playing the creature in that was a very full on and sort of corporeal experience.”

Meanwhile, Cumberbatch has already started hitting the gym in anticipation of the physical rigours demanded by performance-capture.

“I’ve already started working out,” he says, “and doing various movement exercises to get myself limber for that all-important jump suit with balls on it, otherwise known as motion-capture. But I can’t wait, I’m really excited. I go to film it in January.”

We cant wait to see what Jackson does with his fire-breathing antagonist, but with Cumberbatch joining proceedings sooner rather than later, perhaps we’ll get some  Smaug-based goodness in the next production diary. The Hobbit is released in the UK on 14 December 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment