Tuesday 8 January 2013

Director JJ Abrams has spoken out about working with Benedict Cumberbatch on the new Star Trek movie, calling the Sherlock actor "unbelievable".

Cumberbatch plays a mysterious villain called John Harrison in Star Trek Into Darkness, Abrams' sequel to 2009's Star Trek. Discussing Cumberbatch's character recently, Abrams teased: "He is sort of an average [guy]. That is what makes him so scary."

Alongside Cumberbatch, RoboCop star Peter Weller and British actress Alice Eve have also joined the cast for Abrams' sequel. In a new interview with Collider, the director praised the new recruits for slotting into an ensemble cast that already included Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg and Zoe Saldana.

He explained: "Benedict is unbelievable. It's a tall order, coming into that movie, because the crew of the Enterprise - that cast - is so damn good and they're wonderful to work with and they're all good hearts. So, to come into that group, as he did, as Alice Eve did and as Peter Weller did, and be one of the family was something that I was doubtful could happen. And he completely did it. I not only love him in the movie, but I love him as a human being. He's an amazing guy. I can't wait for people to see the movie and experience what he's done."

Abrams, co-creator of Lost, also promised that Star Trek Into Darkness will benefit from his increased experience as a big screen director. He explained: "It's a far bigger movie. What I'm still grappling with and learning how to do is to be looking and thinking cinematically, having come from television... There were things I wish I had done on the first movie that I got a chance to do this time. There were shots I wished I'd gotten, that I never got a chance to get, so it was fun to get that chance this time."

Star Trek Into Darkness opens in cinemas on May 17 this year (2013).
source: www.nme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment